Works submitted for acquisition must be directed or co-directed by a woman, and its subject must be about women or about issues with specific relevance to women’s lives.
Selection of work for the Women Make Movies collection is based on the strength and originality of the work as it relates to the Women Make Movies distribution guidelines. We primarily distribute feature documentaries, but will look at exceptional works in other formats and styles, including short documentaries, narratives, experimental works and animation, especially those that challenge traditional aesthetics and forms. We distribute very few narrative features and do not accept these submissions; we attend film festivals to screen appropriate films. We highly encourage women of color, lesbians and women with disabilities to apply.
Our primary objectives in distribution are:
- To support and encourage women working in film.
- To expand networks and broaden audiences for women’s media.
- To educate the public about the quality and variety of women’s media.
- To encourage discussion and debate about issues of international concern to women.
- Works are reviewed and chosen by our Acquisitions Committee through a collective process. Approximately 20-25 new films are acquired for distribution each year.
- Applications and submissions are reviewed on an ongoing basis. The review and selection process generally takes 6-8 weeks.
We generally do not distribute:
- Films which are under 15 minutes, filmed performances or dance projects.
- “How to” or instructional titles which are already in the consumer market on DVD, VOD or DOD.
Women Make Movies distribution service seeks to expand the public’s exposure to independent film that are directed by women, and whose content is about women and the issues that affect their lives. Our collection of more than 700 films includes award-winning works by both established and emerging independent media makers from all over the world, and explores an incredible range of timely, important and global topics.
We believe that women’s media, in both traditional and non-traditional forms, presents social, political, and aesthetic visions of women that are not generally available in mainstream media. Reflecting an understanding of women’s experience, women’s independent films reveal the complexity and diversity of women’s lives and artistic visions. We remain steadfast in our belief that media can inform and engage, inspire action and challenge reigning perspectives.
SUBMIT YOUR FILM
Thank you for your interest in submitting a film. If your project fits our distribution guidelines, please fill out our Acquisition Submission Form. We’ll respond to your submission within six to eight weeks after everyone on our committee has had a chance to review your film. For all additional questions, please contact us at [email protected].