For more than 45 years, Women Make Movies has helped elevate diverse women directors and producers and improved equity in the film industry. The largest distributor of films by and about women in the world, WMM also supports hundreds of independent filmmakers each year with our highly successful Production Assistance Program.
Women Make Movies is a 501(c)(3) non-profit and a leading national organization dedicated to supporting women and women identified documentary directors and producers. We believe the film industry must truly represent the full diversity of our world, and that diverse filmmakers should be able to win acclaim and build long-term careers.
Here’s what we accomplished in the last year:
- More than 1,000 filmmakers around the world attended our workshops and webinars, gaining career skills they need to succeed
- Through our support, filmmakers raised more than $6.5 million for their projects last year
- A recent release, WHITE RIGHT (dir. Deeyah Khan), and two films from our Production Assistance Program, STRONG ISLAND (dir. Yance Ford) and JACKSON (dir. Maisie Crow) won Emmy Awards
- Films from our programs were part of three exciting firsts at the Academy Awards: Director Yance Ford, who filmed STRONG ISLAND with support from our Production Assistance program, became the first transgender director nominated. Another program alum, Dee Rees, became the first Black woman nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay for MUDBOUND and her cinematographer Rachel Morrison became the first woman nominated in her category
- Production Assistance Program alum Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi’s film FREE SOLO won the Best Documentary Oscar!
Your tax-deductible donation to Women Make Movies will help more diverse women get their films made. You’ll be supporting our goal of increasing the audiences for independent films by women that shed light on important issues and creating visibility for the women who are invisible in mainstream media. You’ll also be helping emerging women filmmakers get training, technical assistance and information.