Representing the “the best of the best of a remarkably fruitful moment for documentary filmmaking,” four WMM filmmakers, past and present, have been nominated for 2020 Critics Choice Documentary Awards:
- WMM-release CODED BIAS (Dir. Shalini Kantayya) has been nominated for Best Science/Nature Documentary. Called “a chilling plunge into Orwellian reality” by HOLLYWOOD REPORTER, CODED BIAS reveals to us the systemic prejudice that hides behind the assumed neutrality of computer algorithms.
- Production Assistance Program alums Kirsten Johnson (DICK JOHNSON IS DEAD) and Dawn Porter (JOHN LEWIS: GOOD TROUBLE) have been nominated for BEST DIRECTOR.
- DICK JOHNSON IS DEAD (Dir. Kirsten Johnson), a bittersweet celebration of life as Kirsten confronts the mortality of her beloved father, was nominated for Best Documentary Feature, Best Cinematography, Best Narration, and Most Compelling Living Subject of a Documentary.
- JOHN LEWIS: GOOD TROUBLE (Dir. Dawn Porter) was nominated for Best Historical/Biographical Documentary and Best Political Documentary. JOHN LEWIS: GOOD TROUBLE is an intimate account of U.S. Representative John Lewis’ life and legacy of social activism.
- MR SOUL! (Dir. Melissa Haizlip), made with the support of WMM’s Production Assistance Program, has been nominated for Best Documentary Feature, Best First Documentary Feature, Best Narration, Best Archival Documentary, and Best Historical/Biographical Documentary. A timely documentary with our nation on an eve of racial reckoning, MR. SOUL! chronicles depictions of African-Americans and cultural moments on television.
We are thrilled to offer our virtual applause to Shalini, Kirsten, Dawn, and Melissa!
Find the full list of nominees here: https://www.indiewire.com/2020/10/2020-critics-choice-documentary-awards-nominations-1234595148/