My Left Breast
Canada | 2000 | 57 minutes | Color | DVD | Order No. 02759
Rather than merely chronicling how one copes with an infirmity, MY LEFT BREAST serves as a model for overcoming every challenge and obstacle in life with clarity and honesty. In the same vein as the most highly regarded films on health, such as COMPLAINTS OF A DUTIFUL DAUGHTER, this powerful film intimately embraces the emotional challenges of disease, demonstrates acceptance and, above all, affirms life.
"An honest, heartwarming tale of a charming, witty and wonderful woman's outlook on life, love and breast cancer. It is an amazingly candid film, not to be missed."
"...[a] straightforward picture of one woman's treatment for breast cancer...a loving and tender depiction of the relationships and community that helped her through it. Every woman would benefit from viewing 'My Left Breast.'"
"Rogers demonstrates remarkable clarity and humor...An informative film about breast cancer, it also reveals, subtly and powerfully, the healing power of love."
"...a documentary whose immediacy and stunning honesty were even more impressive on second viewing. I'll watch it a third time...it's that good. This is a lovely, artful piece of filmmaking that illuminates the ordeal of illness and delight of recovery with wit, wrenching honesty and hopeful humanism."
"...intimate, starkly honest, humorous and inspiring - all at the same time."
"...probably one of the most powerful breast cancer stories you'll hear or see..."
SCREENING HIGHLIGHTS AND AWARDS
- Women in the Director's Chair
- Gemini Award (Canadian Oscar) Winner - Best History/Biography Documentary & Best Direction in a Documentary
- Hot Docs - Best Canadian Documentary
- Dallas Int'l Gay and Lesbian Film Fest - Best Director, Best Documentary, c1TV Audience Award for Favorite Film
- Inside Out, Toronto Lesbian & Gay Film Festival - Best Canadian Film/Video & Best Female Director
- Chicago International Television Competition - Silver Hugo
- Sheffield International Documentary Film Festival
- Houston International Film Festival - Bronze Remi
- SF, NY, LA, Philadelphia, Vancouver, Dallas, Austin, Ottowa, Vancouver, Toronto, Berlin Gay and Lesbian Film Festivals
- Doclands, Ireland's Documentary Film Festival
- Boulder Gay & Lesbian Film Festival - Best Documentary
- Nickel Independent Film Festival - Best Documentary
- St. John's Intl Women F&V Festival - Best Documentary
- Banff Television Festival
- Telescience Film Festival, Montreal
- Cineffable, Paris Lesbian Film Festival
Gerry Rogers began her film career in 1982 at the National Film Board's Studio D in Montreal. In 1992 she returned to her native Newfoundland and founded Augusta Productions. Among the many films she has produced include the internationally award-winning TO A SAFER PLACE. Her directorial credits include the NFB/CBC co-production AFTER THE MONTREAL MASSACRE, the internationally award winning VIENNA TRIBUNAL, and KATHLEEN SHANNON: ON FILM, FEMINISM, AND OTHER DREAMS.
Gerry's latest film, MY LEFT BREAST, is an intimate and starkly honest portrayal of her struggle with breast cancer, from post mastectomy, through chemotherapy and radiation. Filmed mostly by her partner Peggy and herself, through tears, humour and courage she opens her body, heart and soul to the camera.
Gerry was elected to the Newfoundland and Labrador House of Assembly in 2011. (8/12)