The Greatest Silence: Rape in the Congo
2007 | 76 minutes | Color | DVD | French, Swahili, Lingala, Mashi | Subtitled | Order No. 09930
“Highly Recommended. Jackson has created an extraordinary document that gives voice to the silent, and that asks the profound question ‘If a society can’t protect women and kids, what kind of society is that?"
“Captures the stark reality of women’s and girls’ suffering and untold courage… You will never think about conflict in gender-neutral terms again.”
"4 Stars. A moving, powerful, and deeply disturbing documentary. ...fills a crucial information void...Highly Recommended, Editor's Choice"
"This film will long endure. A brave, extraordinary film in the great, courageous tradition of all who've spoken up for the rights of women for centuries."
“Impressive…shows not only in candid and unapologetic detail the psychological trauma and horror endured by individual rape survivors, but also its broader cultural implications.”
“Exceptional lensing throughout this distressing and disturbing documentary.”
“Harrowing and heart-rending and maddening and confounding.”
"[A] documentary of the highest calling."
"An important tool for waking up the sleeping consciousness of humanity that continues to allow such injustices on women and children to go unchecked and unreported."
SCREENING HIGHLIGHTS AND AWARDS
- Sundance Film Festival, Special Jury Prize: Documentary
- Gracie Award, Outstanding Documentary - Long Format
- Emmy Award Nominee in Outstanding Informational Programming: Long Form and Outstanding Individual Achievement in a Craft: Writing
- London Human Rights Watch Film Festival, Best of Fest
- One World Slovakia Doc Film Festival, Best of Fest
- Int'l Black DocuFest, Best Human Rights Watch Documentary
- Roma Independent Film Festival, Best Documentary
- Reel Awareness Amnesty Int'l Human Rights FF, Best Documentary
- Int'l Film Forum & Festival on Human Rights, Geneva
- Rwanda Film Festival
- Human Rights Watch Int'l Film Festival, NY
- Seattle Human Rights Watch Film Festival
- Montreal Human Rights Film Festival
- One World Int'l Human Rights Doc Film Festival, Prague
- San Francisco Human Rights Watch Int'l Film Festival
- High Falls Film Festival
- Indianapolis Film Festival
- Addis Int'l Film Festival on Rights and Justice, Addis Ababa
- Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Pravo Ljudski Human Rights Film Festival
- Human Rights Watch Int'l Traveling Film Festival, Int'l House, PA
- Women's Film Festival, VT
- Cinema Arts Centre, NY
Lisa F. Jackson
Lisa F. Jackson has been making documentary films for over 30 years, work that has brought her awards that include two Emmy awards and a Sundance Jury Prize. SEX CRIMES UNIT, her most recent film, is an unprecedented verite portrait of prosecutors in the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office as they work to bring justice to victims of sexual violence. Jackson shot her last documentary in the war zones of the Democratic Republic of the Congo. THE GREATEST SILENCE: RAPE IN THE CONGO exposes the horrifying fate of women and girls in an intractable war. It won a Special Jury Prize for Documentaries at the 2008 Sundance Film Festival, earned 2 Emmy nominations and was broadcast on HBO.
Jackson studied filmmaking at MIT with Richard Leacock and has directed and/or edited dozens of films for PBS including: Voices and Visions: Emily Dickinson. She has screened her work and lectured at the Columbia University School of Journalism, Brandeis, Purdue, NYU, Yale, Notre Dame and Harvard University and was a visiting professor of documentary film at the School for Visual Arts in Manhattan. (8/14)