Seven projects sponsored by WMM’s Production Assistance Program have been selected for DOC NYC’s Only in New York industry program! The program is an opportunity for filmmakers with works-in-progress to meet one-on-one with leading industry decision-makers. This year, more than 75% of the selected projects are helmed by filmmakers who identify as women, non-binary, or genderqueer, and 62% are directed and/or produced by BIPOC filmmakers.
The WMM-sponsored films are:
- 1946: THE MISTRANSLATION THAT SHIFTED A CULTURE (dir. Sharon “Rocky” Roggio, prod. Daniel Karslake)
- A DOUBLE LIFE (dir. Catherine Masud, prod. Abby Ginzberg (director of WMM new releases BARBARA LEE: SPEAKING TRUTH TO POWER and WAGING CHANGE))
- HOW TO POWER A CITY (dir. Melanie La Rosa, director of WMM releases THE POETRY DEAL and SIR)
- LITTLE SALLIE WALKER (dir. Marta Effinger-Crichlow)
- PATTERNS (dir. Nicole Betancourt)
- ROCKY FLATS (dir. Nancy Wolfe)
- WOMAN ON THE OUTSIDE (dir. Zara Katz & Lisa Riordan Seville)
We are also pleased to see new projects from Kimberlee Bassford, director of WMM releases PATSY MINK and WINNING GIRL , (I OF THE WATER: THE UNWRITTEN LIFE OF SIA FIGIEL) and from program alum Contessa Gayles (LIFE + LIFE) included in the program as well.
WMM Executive Director Debra Zimmerman will participating in ONLY IN NEW YORK meetings along with our colleagues and partner organizations including Chicken & Egg Pictures, Cinetic Media, International Documentary Association, NBC News Studios, American Documentary, and more.
Congratulations to all our filmmakers!