The Rest I Make Up
US | 2018 | 79 minutes | Color | DVD | English | Order No. 181226
A portrait of visionary Cuban-American dramatist Maria Irene Fornes and the story of her unexpected collaboration with filmmaker Michelle Memran.
One of "The Best Movies of 2018"
"A lyrical and lovingly made documentary."
"Intimate and exhilarating...Fornes exerts a hypnotic force of stardom, while her offhanded yet urgent remarks resound with life-tested literary authority."
"A tender exploration of Fornes’ life and the meaning of memory."
"Fabulous. The Rest I Make Up is as inspiring as its subject."
"The film’s overarching theme of life’s ephemeral nature paired with the deep friendship and vital creativity that percolates between this young writer-turned-filmmaker and the iconic playwright offer a much-needed and refreshingly loving take on aging and illness."
"A touching portrait of an unheralded artist."
"Memran’s documentary is as untraditional and unpredictable as the woman herself. In it, Memran manages to take us through Irene’s extraordinary life, while capturing the essence of what made it extraordinary - all while transitioning into an impressive artist in her own right."
"An enduring portrait of an artist who defied expectations right until the end."
"At turns, funny, smart, sad, and poetic, The Rest I Make Up examines the gifts of collaboration and creativity, as well as what it means to be an artist and a friend."
"An exquisite documentary portrait. While the movie doesn’t flinch from the sadness of Fornes’s decline…it nonetheless leaves the viewer feeling exhilarated, bringing us into the creative aura of a lively, unassailable imagination."
"A story of spontaneity, creativity, genius and madness. It showcases the life, inspiration and virtuosity of Fornes."
SCREENING HIGHLIGHTS AND AWARDS
- Jury Award for Best Documentary and Runner-Up Audience Award for Best Documentary, OUTshine Film Festival
- Jury Award for Best Documentary Feature, Reeling: Chicago LGBTQ+ International Film Festival
- Audience Award for Best Documentary, Frameline Film Festival
- Special Mention, Queer Porto 4 - International Queer Film Festival
- Best Documentary Feature, Sebastopol Documentary Film Festival
- AARP Silver Image Award, Reeling: Chicago LGBTQ+ International Film Festival
- MoMA Doc Fortnight
- Miami Film Festival
- Inside Out Toronto LGBT Festival
- Female Eye Film Festival
- Boston Latino International Film Festival
- Coral Gables Art Cinema
- Heartland International Film Festival
- Tough Broads Film Festival
- Pink Panorama Film Fest
- Hallwalls Contemporary Arts Center
- Havana Film Festival
- ReFrame Film Fest
- Mardi Gras Film Festival
- Chicago Filmmakers
- FilmBar Phoenix
- Festival International de Films De Femmes de Creteil
- Lesbian Looks Series
- The Institute of Contemporary Arts, London
- Freep Film Festival
- NW Film Center
- Houston Cinema Arts Festival
- Women Texas Film Festival
- Eau Queer Film Festival
Michelle Memran is a filmmaker and journalist. For nearly twenty years she has worked as a reporter and researcher in New York City and has written for numerous publications. Her award-winning documentary feature debut, The Rest I Make Up, had its world premiere at MoMA's Doc Fortnight in 2018, and returned for a sold-out week-long run at MoMA later that year. It was named one of "The Best Movies of 2018" by Richard Brody in The New Yorker and is currently screening worldwide. (04/19)