Six films from our Production Assistance Program and ten films from current WMM filmmakers and past Program alum are premiering at Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival — North America’s largest doc festival, conference, and market! The festival will include in-person screenings across Toronto and films streaming nationwide in Canada from April 28 – May 8, 2022.
The following films, all of which were made with the support of our Production Assistant Program, will premiere at this year’s festival:
- ALL OF OUR HEARTBEATS ARE CONNECTED THROUGH EXPLODING STARS (dir. Jennifer Rainsford) – North American Premiere
- ALIS (dir. Claire Weiskopf) – North American Premiere
- THE AMERICAN DREAM AND OTHER FAIRY TALES (dir. Abigail Disney & Kathleen Hughes) – International Premiere
- MIDWIVES (dir. Snow Hnin Ei Hlaing) – Canadian Premiere
- SILENT BEAUTY (dir. Jasmin Mara López) – World Premiere
- THE MARTHA MITCHELL EFFECT (dir. Anne Alvergue, co-dir. Debra McClutchy, prod. Beth Levison, Judith Mizrachy) – International Premiere
Don’t miss new films from WMM filmmakers including: TIKTOK, BOOM (dir. Shalini Kantayya, CODED BIAS), FATIMA IN KABUL (dir. Brishkay Ahmed, IN THE RUMBLING BELLY OF MOTHERLAND), and AFTERSHOCK (dir. Paula Eiselt, 93QUEEN). WMM Program alums are also premiering new projects: Maite Alberdi (THE MOLE AGENT), Sara Archambault (RIOTSVILLE, USA), Cathryne Czubek (ONCE UPON A TIME IN UGANDA), Reid Davenport (I DIDN’T SEE YOU THERE), Sara Dosa (FIRE OF LOVE), Sabrina Schmidt Gordon (TO THE END), and Hanna Polak (ANGELS OF SINJAR).
We are proud to see that a quarter of the twenty projects selected to pitch at the 2022 Hot Docs Forum are from WMM filmmakers and Program alum! Best of luck to Reid Davenport and Milisuthando Bongela, who are pitching WMM-sponsored projects LIFE AFTER and MILISUTHANDO, respectively. And good luck to Program alums Heidi Fleisher, Dea Gjinovi, Ema Ryan Yamazaki, Sara Dosa, and Brett Story on pitching new projects as well!
Additionally, of the 35 Deal Maker Projects, five of them are projects supported by our Production Assistance Program! Best of luck to the WMM projects pitching: EAT BITTER (dir. Ningyi Sun), JOONAM (dir. Sierra Urich), NEW WAVE (dir. Elizabeth Ai), THE PHANTOM PAIN ROJAVA (dir. Maryam Ebrahimi), THE SOURCE OF LIFE (TE PUNA ORA) (dir. Virginie Tetoofa and Riham Ezzaldeen). And best of luck to Dea Djinovci, whose new project SISTERS ACT will also be pitching.
Congratulations to all thirty of you – we can’t wait to see your films! Ticket packages and online passes are now on sale. Learn more here.